Internet Architecture and Systems
Affiliate Associate Professor
Affiliate Associate Professor
|To the site||http://inet-lab.naist.jp/en/|
Fig.1 Pervasive Computing / Ubiquitous Computing
Fig.2 Disaster relief computing / networking
Fig.3 Operations technology for data center and network
Fig.4 Cyber Security
Fig.5 Transmission system using the IP network of super realistic feeling space
Pervasive Computing / Ubiquitous Computing
In an environment which everything in real space is connected to the network (IoT, M2M environment) the information system analyzes and understands the sensor data then controls remote devices and presents useful decision-making information.
- Public transportation big data analysis (ex. driving analysis)
- Indoor localization utilizing environment sensors and smartphone mounted sensors together
- Edge/Fog computing (Optimization of computing resource allocation for smart cities)
Disaster relief computing / networking
In large-scale disasters such as communication infrastructure being cut off, the use of satellite communication system becomes extremely important. We are conducting R & D on communication methods that make maximum use of limited resources of low bandwidth / high latency satellite lines. At the time of the initial disaster occurrence, on-site staff need to devote themselves to disaster response, and we are also discussing ways to provide the environment where terminals can be normally used as they are.
Operations technology for data centesr and networks
We are working on the operations technologies for data centers that is developing with higher performance and higher density with the spread of cloud computing. In particular, we are studying on the following technologies on data management for online storage for storing and sharing data in networks, resource management and operations support for cloud service infrastructure and routing control for network traffic.
- Network storage system adaptation to data properties (object storage, distributed storage, access control)
- Technologies for virtual machine placement, data placement, traffic control and operations support considering energy saving and load balancing
- Next-generation traffic engineering for safe and effective data transport (IPv6 site multihoming, network auto configuration)
- Technologies for IPv4-IPv6 transition and IPv6 deployment
Devices which is connected to the Internet are always threatened with malware and DoS attacks.
With the spreading of IoT or M2M technologies, it is important to care about the vulnerabilities of various devices such as automobiles, robots, sensor nodes, etc. as well as servers and PCs.
- DoS attack of industrial network and devices
- Car security
- Malware analysys
Transmission system using IP network of super realistic feeling space
Utilizing the method of transmitting super high definition 4K / 8K video and stereophonic sound using ultra high speed IP networks, we are studying video / sound / IP networks with the goal of forming a super-realistic space comparable to real space in remote places.
- Utilization of uncompressed video data for high quality / low latency
- IP network routing control methods for high reliability
- Adaptive use of compressing video data
- Approach to medical, museums, planetariums, etc.
- Application to the digital library system
In our laboratory, students can study a variety of topics concerned with computer networks, from the network layer to the application layer. The strength of our laboratory is that students have opportunities to perform their research using actual computer network environments because all faculty members are engaged in the Information Initiative Center (ITC) of NAIST. Additionally, in some cases we develop devices to create appropriate research environments. Our laboratory welcomes students of all levels of expertise, providing seminars on basic theoretical and practical studies as well as advanced areas.